Threads of Joy | Day 15

Day 15 - Saturday, March 28th

     I woke up this morning ready for the day to be over with. For the first time since starting the second semester, I had picked up a shift at the nursing home. I had no idea what I was getting myself back into, especially considering the changes due to Covid-19. Per usual, I had run dozens of theories in my head about how this shift could go. You would think I'd have learned my lesson about that by now! But the day turned into yet another example of how God knows what I need and when I need it.

  •     I received a text early in the morning that referenced one of my current favorite songs, "Footprints" by Matt Hammitt. It was the reminder I needed that God was going to carry me through this day, even though I wanted it over with.
  •    Both on my way to and from work Elevation Worship's song "I See a Victory" came on the radio. As I was listening, a few verses really hit home. "You take what the enemy meant for evil / And You turn it for good / You turn it for good." Many, many, times the past few weeks I have wondered how this coronavirus situation could lead to any good. But it has and will.
  •       I came home from work with a smile on my face. That wasn't the case the past few shifts I had worked. Yes, I still encountered some tough situations. One of my favorite residents is currently in the process of passing away. Many of the other residents I work with are experiencing the effects of the necessary isolation from their family members. But I was also reminded of how much I love being able to take care of other people and be there for them. That was something I thought I might have lost. I wasn't even sure if some of the residents would remember me after being gone so long - but they did.
     Honestly, I went into today not sure if I was going to find any threads of joy. But, fifteen days into this project, I'm still finding them.
      

Comments