A Day to Begin Being Thankful

Warning: The below post may contain information that you have heard so often it's become cliched. However, I write in the hopes that you may gain a new perspective from my musings.

Here goes.

When I was younger, Thanksgiving didn't seem like that big of a holiday. I mean, compare it to all the presents and shiny decorations for Christmas, the candy-buffet of Easter, and then throw in that I'm not a huge fan of turkey....  the verdict for Thanksgiving was

meh.

*side note*
What I just listed about Christmas and Easter were my 6-yr. old perspective. At this point in life, they're about a lot more to me!
 *end side note*

But now I'm trying to give Thanksgiving a new look. Why? Over the last couple months I've started to really see a lot of the junk that goes on in the world and culture. It's depressing, and sadly, the holiday season especially seems to bring out the "I need/want" in people.

I need/want this costume/outfit
I need/want this item for Christmas
I need/want perfect decorations
I need/want to impress the guests.
I need/want that last piece of chocolate-peanut butter dessert
I need/want to finish shopping by a week before Christmas
Scratch that: I need to finish shopping by 12:00 p.m. Christmas Eve *facepalm*

I want, I want, I want


But Thanksgiving is a holiday that really focuses on turning that around. It's a day devoted to being thankful instead of falling into the "I need/want trap."

So this year, I'm trying to make a point to really focus on being thankful for what I already have around me because the fact is -

I already have way more than what I truly need.

To start, I'm making the classic list of what I'm thankful for today:

  1. A God who doesn't give up on me, no matter how many times I mess up or get lost
  2. That I don't have to worry about a surgery like I did last Thanksgiving
  3. Socks (chronic cold feet are a thing)
  4. The ability to perform in musicals with awesome people
  5. Classes that I love
  6. A comfy bed and a roof over my head every night
  7. All 5 of my siblings, annoying as they may be
    1. I just realized that was under number 5, ha!
  8. The Green Bay Packers
  9. Pinterest, (the real source of any of my creativity)
  10. The fact that the next Star Wars movie comes out in a month
I could go on.
This is a list of some of the things I'm thankful for at this specific moment in time. However, I don't want to forget about being thankful as soon as Thanksgiving is over. My goal this year is to carry this gratefulness through the rest of the holiday season, into next year, and beyond. 

Personally, I think this song is going to be a big help. I mean, for one, it's something I'm thankful for.

Hawk Nelson is now added to my list of favorite bands.


So here's a challenge. Over the next week, make a point to thank God for something every day! Then the next week, and the week after....
See where it takes you!

Have a great(ful) Thanksgiving everyone!

Number one on your list - Be thankful I don't make puns very often




Comments

  1. This is beautiful Tomi!! Thanks for sharing what you thankful for! Two of the things I’m thankful for are
    my family and our bountiful hunting season!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's awesome! Glad to hear your hunting season is going well!

      Delete

Post a Comment