How Cleaning Got Me Through Finals Week (True Story)
If that's not the weirdest post title I ever write, I'd be shocked.
But it's actually true.
The weekend before finals week, Mom happened to give me the task of doing a few loads of laundry. Ok, not my favorite job but let's get it done. I walk downstairs and guys, there's a MOUNTAIN of laundry.
That's where things got weird.
My normal brain would have said "Get done what you're required and leave it at that"
But no. My brain went "You're doing ALL of it." And, by the next day, I had.
Little did I know that things were just getting started.
Monday morning comes and I'm facing more final exams than I want to think about. To top it off, I need to have them done by Thursday morning at the latest. Heh, not like the mounting pressure is going to explode right? Thankfully, it actually didn't, but only because of cleaning. (I still can't believe I just said that.)
Whenever my brain was mush and the nervous energy was reaching a climax, I'd take a break and redirect that stress into cleaning the bathroom, picking up the living room, or organizing the kitchen for the 30th time. Dirty dishes stood no chance, cobwebs were vanquished, and *GASP* is that an open cupboard door?!?! And so went the entire week.
By Thursday, my family might have been a bit concerned for my mental health (going on cleaning sprees isn't exactly normal for me), but the house was a lot cleaner than it had been in a long time!
Did cleaning make my tests any easier?
No.
But, taking those 15-30 minute breaks did give my brain a chance to reboot. I also have a theory that cleaning is more of a physical task than a mental one, therefore it actually gave my energy a bit of a boost while resting my brain at the same time. (It's ok if that statement made 0 sense)
So, anyway, I'm not saying that everyone should go on cleaning sprees during finals week. BUT if you're ever in a spot where you're brain is mush and info is refusing to enter or exit, staring at that textbook isn't going to make your brain stop swirling. Go find something else to do for 15 minutes. Play music, doodle, take pictures, take a walk, something. Then come back and see if it made a difference. I'm guessing it will :)
Also, in case you're wondering, I'm not on a cleaning spree anymore. However, my room has stayed in a presentable state for a record 2 months (*cough* now that I think about it, there's a pile of laundry sitting in it waiting to be put away *facepalm*) The house isn't as clean as it was at the end of finals week, but it is staying cleaner than it used to lol. Hey, cleaning gives you a good sense of accomplishment =D

I’ve done this when I have a LONG week of school cause I don’t have a lot of finals this year yet! At least I hope*gulp*
ReplyDelete