County Fair Part 1 - The Youth Building

     Ya'll, I'm sitting here at the end of August trying to comprehend what just happened. I'm not sure how but county fair is over and done with while school is staring me in the face from next week. SAY WHAT?!

    I haven't posted anything in a while, and that's pretty much because for a while my life was revolving around getting my drivers license and making fair projects. Showing at the county fair has always been the highlight of the summer for my family, and this year was no different.

    In the youth building, my biggest project was definitely Knitting/Crocheting. I had 7 different items as well as 2 entered in open class. All blues!!

7 out of my 9 items
   But I was especially excited when I saw this...

Grand Champion and Honorable Mention!!

   My next favorite project this year was Vet Science. I've always been interested in anatomy of any sort and I really enjoyed learning new things as I looked up topics for my posters. I may or may not have finally realized (having lived on a farm my entire life) that cows do not have 4 stomachs, but only have 1 stomach with 4 compartments. It was a good thing I did though because this happened too...


I also received an Honorable Mention on a poster about Brucellosis!


In addition, I also entered a woven basket along with a bath mat that I knit out of old t-shirts. Both received blue ribbons.

Finally, my last project in the youth building was photography, where I entered in 4 different categories.

Extreme Close Up - Pink Ribbon

Flower Photos - White Ribbon
Animal Photos - Blue Ribbon!
Composed Grouping of Objects - Honorable Mention!!!

That picture almost didn't get taken, but I decided to do it at the last minute. Glad I did!

I wasn't the only one who did well in the youth building though. My youngest sister received a Reserve Champion in Naturespace for an awesome collection of animal tracks she cast over the summer.

My other little sister received an honorable mention on a macrame bracelet, and my older sister received honorable mention on an embroidered pillowcase (that she got done in only 2 weeks!)


That wraps up the highlights from the youth building, but stay tuned for another post with our adventures showing dairy and goats!


Comments

  1. Congratulations Tomi!! You did really well at fair! We just had our 4-H fair this weekend and it went really well. I can't wait to hear about your showing experience!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment