Walks Around the Farm
Agh, my blog post titles are about as original as the captions I put on my fair photography. Anyone out there who loves writing titles or captions?
But anyway.
I've never quite understood how people could live in big cities, surrounded by miles of concrete. I could probably survive in a small town, but I don't think there's ever going to be anything better than living in the country with acres of woods and pasture waiting to be roamed. That's why this summer I volunteered to bring heifers home for water and also to lock the cows off in their pasture for the day. Sure, it's the same route back and forth each day until the respective groups are moved, but there's so much to see! (And an hour all to myself? Yes, please!)
Being able to see all the different plants and animals that pop up around the farm is also a huge plus. Last week I finally remembered to start bringing my camera along, and I wasn't disappointed for lack of photo ops! It may have taken me significantly longer than normal to bring the heifers home though....
| Why was I taking pictures of decomposing sticks you ask? I don't know why either. |
I find it kind of funny that I had an encounter with two different woodchucks in the span of a week. Except one didn't make it.... I don't think anyone told it that it's a bad idea to play dead until the approaching vehicle is right on top of it, and then try to make the escape.
| This particular one did actually survive the encounter. |
I find it really difficult to photograph cows and barnyard animals in general. They're almost constantly moving! Lighting always seems to be an issue too....but I actually got some decent ones this time. (Yay!)
Hopefully you enjoyed the pictures. I'd really like to keep my camera in use this summer, but that always seems to be a goal of mine...
Maybe this year will be different. Thanks for reading!
I loved your pictures! At least the cows didn't seem to mind :P I personally wish we lived in the country.... we own land with an old (unusable) farm... and sometimes that is my "escape." Do the cows cooperate well?
ReplyDeleteAw, I'm glad you liked the pictures! As for the cows... it depends on the day. In general they cooperate pretty well but sometimes they'll refuse to go where we want for no apparent reason. There are also the days where the entire herd gets into the neighbors lawn... thankfully those ones are rare!
DeleteYou are one amazing woman! Love the pictures.
ReplyDeleteThat compliment means a lot, thank you! :)
Delete