New Additions!!
Over the past few weeks, we've had quite a few new additions here!
First off, our first brown swiss baby (and first calf of the year) was born two weeks ago! She's adorable! Jersey and Holstein calves are pretty darn cute, but Brown Swiss calves might top them....maybe. I haven't decided yet. There's just something I love about fluffy brown calves with feathery ears (not to mention they're just as pretty grown up).
Luckily, Ruth (momma) was inside the barn when she calved on a February-like night (it was supposed to be March, but sure didn't feel like it!). For that first night and following day, we kept Rylie (calf) in a heated room, then we moved her to a pen inside the barn. She's been doing extremely well!
We also got lucky on another aspect. I've always heard that brown swiss calves can be hard to train to drink from bottles, but Rylie was literally one of the easiest calves I have ever trained. On the other hand, switching her over to a pail....
First off, our first brown swiss baby (and first calf of the year) was born two weeks ago! She's adorable! Jersey and Holstein calves are pretty darn cute, but Brown Swiss calves might top them....maybe. I haven't decided yet. There's just something I love about fluffy brown calves with feathery ears (not to mention they're just as pretty grown up).
Luckily, Ruth (momma) was inside the barn when she calved on a February-like night (it was supposed to be March, but sure didn't feel like it!). For that first night and following day, we kept Rylie (calf) in a heated room, then we moved her to a pen inside the barn. She's been doing extremely well!
We also got lucky on another aspect. I've always heard that brown swiss calves can be hard to train to drink from bottles, but Rylie was literally one of the easiest calves I have ever trained. On the other hand, switching her over to a pail....
We also have a new member in the house. I'm happy to introduce you to Norman the Betta.
Norman upgraded from a tiny store apartment to a spacious fish condo on top of my desk about three weeks ago. He has adjusted quite well (although he probably wasn't especially happy about the 10-hour long power outage the other day....). Other than that, he has no complaints. His view of my classes and homework is pretty good, so by the end of the school year, he should be proficient in all subjects.
But we have to go back to the barn for our newest additions. Six of my sister's goats started kidding last week! So far the count is 3 females and 9 males, but a bunch more does are due to kid in April.
The goat sweaters I knitted proved helpful since the first few kids were born while it was still pretty chilly. Now that the weather is warming up a bit they haven't needed the sweaters for a few days.
Adios for now!
Awe! They are all so adorable! See you next thursday!
ReplyDeleteAren't they!?! A definite perk to living on a farm =D
Delete