1 1/2 Weeks Post-Surgery

Hey ya'll!
    As you can tell I made it through my surgery alive and kicking! Well, make that walking and two inches taller, not kicking. =D

    So in my last post, I had outlined my experience with kyphosis up until two days before surgery. Those days flew by and I found myself awake at 3:00 Thursday morning getting ready to leave with my parents. Surprisingly, I was actually pretty calm and almost excited on the way there. In pre-op they had me change into a hospital gown, drew some blood, hooked me up to an IV and stuck a bunch of neuro-monitoring  wires/tabs on my ankles and wrists. In between, the surgeon and some other doctors came and outlined some of the things that would happen during surgery with my mom and I (only one person was allowed to be with me at the time :(. Then, my Dad came in, both my parents gave me a hug and I was whisked away to the operating room. I really don't remember hardly anything after the prep room since they had already given me an injection to start falling asleep.

      The surgery took about 8-9 hours, but it took me way longer than normal to wake up, like 3-4 hours. Quite honestly, waking up from surgery was probably one of the worst things about the entire thing. When I finally did start becoming conscious, I couldn't focus my vision at all. I know there was a nurse or two that was beside me at the time, but I really couldn't see clearly. I must have fallen back asleep at least twice because I remember waking up like that probably two more times. Finally, I must have woken up enough because at about 7:30 (12 hours after I went into surgery) they wheeled the bed into my room and my mom, dad, and older sister could finally come in and see me (although I could barely see them). At this point, I had two IV's in one arm, one in the other, plus an intra-arterial blood pressure monitor in that same arm (in case you're wondering what the bruise looked like from that, it was about 4 inches long and about 1 1/2 wide. I can still see it a week later now, but hey, it doesn't hurt!). I also had an inflatable cuff around the bottom half of each of my legs to keep blood clots from forming by working similar to a blood-pressure cuff (inflating and deflating every few seconds). There were also two drains in my back to remove fluid from the incision. In addition, I had an oxygen tube in my nose and at my side a patient-controlled pain button that allowed me to occasionally give myself a dose of pain medicine via IV. I gradually became more aware as I came out of the anesthesia but I continued to have double vision the entire night (which I really, really, really, didn't like.)

    Thankfully, Friday morning brought normal vision! Finally!

     In addition, the oxygen tube was removed on Friday and I stood up for the first time. In my first attempt to walk, I actually used a walker to support myself and only made it to the door of my room and back to the bed. But over the next few days, I was gradually able to walk farther and farther distances. In addition, the various equipment I was hooked up to was gradually removed, and I was transitioned from IV pain medication to oral pain medication. Unfortunately, the pain was constant throughout my entire hospital stay. I think the worst of it was when the muscles in my back would become extremely tight. There was no comfortable position to be in, but being on my side seemed to help occasionally. The worst days of pain in the hospital were probably Saturday and Sunday. However, on Sunday I was able to climb a flight of stairs. That morning one of the doctors also removed a drainage tube, saying I would probably be able to leave the next day (although on Saturday they said there was a chance I could leave on Sunday). But later in the afternoon, my surgeon came to check on me and cleared me to have the second and final drain removed in order to go home that night! That was an awesome surprise! (The hospital staff was great, but there's no place like home when you're recovering!)

     So my family packed everything up, got the medication prescriptions and headed home in the middle of the first real snow storm of the year. The roads were NOT in a good condition and it took us an hour and a half to get home (not pleasant when you just had back surgery). But thankfully we made it home safe!

    The next day was pretty hard as well, but I think it was mainly because I was still adjusting to being home and not at the hospital. But the day after (Tuesday), it was like someone flipped a switch. I was able to be up and out of bed for quite a bit longer than the previous days and the pain was a lot easier to manage. The next days pretty much just got better, At night my back would still tighten up painfully, making me get up several times to take meds/ walk around, but it was definitely an improvement!

    Today I just had my first post-op appointment. It was the longest period of time I've been out of bed since the surgery. Counting the car ride and appointment, I was up for about 2 1/2 hours, and it didn't bother my back as much as I thought it would.
    At the appointment, the nurse was extremely pleased with how my incision is healing and said I can lift 10-15 pounds (which is actually an increase from before). I have another follow-up appointment in 4 weeks, at which I might be able to start weaning myself from my brace if things are looking good. (I have to wear a brace whenever standing for more than a minute or two in order to keep from twisting or bending. Not the most roomy thing to wear. I can't even take a deep breath, but I'm getting used to it.)

    The incision itself goes down almost my entire back, but they said it should eventually fade into a silvery scar once it's healed.
   
 That's about all I have for now, but  I have to give a shout out to everyone who sent me cards, presents, came to visit me in the hospital, and most importantly, everyone who prayed for me. Everyone's support made this entire experience a lot easier for me to go through and I appreciate it so much! 
     I'll try to give another update in a little bit, maybe after my next appointment or earlier if there are any huge changes.

 If you have any questions about something I didn't cover or that was confusing please don't be afraid to ask! =D    

Comments

  1. Wow, Tommy!!!! You are in my thoughts and my prayers! ;) You are such a brave girl. I hope everything heals well and smoothly. Thanks for sharing all of this on your blog; it's nice to keep up with your exciting journey!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your prayers Hannah, I really appreciate them! :) Happy New Year!

      Delete

Post a Comment